Latinx/Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated every year from September 15th to October 15th. As Latinx/Hispanic Heritage Month comes to a close, Balanced You would like to share resources to support emotional well-being for the Latinx community, including spaces for celebration, joy, and connection; tips for self- and collective-care; and mental health guides.
Celebration and connection
Celebration and connection are an integral part of emotional well-being. We would like to acknowledge the Latinx Affinity Group for providing a space of shared connection and community building for King County employees. The Latinx Affinity Group’s mission is to build equitable community for King County Latinx employees and the Latinx community at large. View their website for more information, meeting times and upcoming events.
Self-care and collective-care tips and resources
Self-care is the act of attending to one’s own needs. Collective-care, or community-care, is the act of supporting others in meeting their needs and asking others to support you in meeting yours, building upon the notion that together we are stronger than we are apart. Both are important aspects of reducing stress and increasing resiliency.
Examples of self- and collective-care include:
- Reaching out to friends and/or family
- Ensuring you are nourished, hydrated, and rested
- Attending virtual church, mosque, or temple
- Practicing spirituality
- Meditating alone or with an online group
- Speaking with your current mental health providers
- Engaging in physical activity
- Dancing or singing
- Setting boundaries and taking alone time
- Making space for any act that relieves your stress and improves your resiliency
Mental health resources
- Making Life Easier (MLE) provides free counseling and other resources for King County employees, beneficiaries, and anyone living at the employee’s address. MLE can match you with a provider based on background (i.e. race, ethnicity, gender identity, LGBTQ status) or provider’s expertise in race or multicultural issues. Visit the Making Life Easier website or call 1-888-874-7290 for more information.
- Latinx Therapy: Bilingual podcasts, courses, workshops, and national directory to find a Latinx therapist. Visit the Latinx Therapy website for more information.
A comprehensive guide to employee mental health benefits and Latinx community resources for mental health can be found in the King County Mental Health Resource Guide.
If you have other resources you’d like us to promote, please contact us at BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov.