The holiday season will look different for many people this year. Many of us will still find ways to cultivate joy and cherish time with loved ones, whether virtually or safely in-person. Many of us will also undergo sadness and fatigue from experiencing holidays during a pandemic. Balanced You and King County’s Making Life Easier program offer the following recommendations so you can enjoy the season to the fullest.
Take time out
Pay attention to your own needs. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take time for yourself.
- Practice reducing stress with one of Mindfulness Northwest’s short on-demand mindfulness videos. Topics include awareness of breath, acceptance, and gratitude.
- Get some instant relief with Making Life Easier’s online Stress Center. Log in to practice a short meditation, listen to soothing music, or learn Desk Yoga stretches you can do almost anywhere. (username: King County)
- Go for a short walk. The fresh air will do you good.
- Set aside time to do something you enjoy – journal, read a book or exercise. Maintaining your own needs will keep you grounded and calm.
Acknowledge your limits
You may feel pressure to cook, plan, and spend more money during the season. This can add stress to your routine and hurt your wallet. Keep expectations realistic by knowing your limits.
- Understand your budget and spending limit. If you need help with holiday budgeting, call the financial wellness program – My Secure Advantage – at 1-888-874-7290. You can speak with a Money Coach on any topic for 90 days free-of-charge.
- Remind yourself that it’s okay to say no to invitations, whether the invite breaks the recommendations of social distancing, infringes on your need for alone time, or offers virtual connection when you’re experiencing Zoom fatigue.
- Prioritize your schedule. Can you give something up to make space for something you really value?
Share the tasks. Whether you live with others or are planning a virtual gathering, welcome others to join you – safely – for hosting, decorating, wrapping gifts, or preparing meals. You’ll lighten your load and enjoy more together time.
When you can’t share tasks, see if you can outsource them. At no cost to you, Making Life Easier’s Daily Living Services can help:
- Find a pet sitter or dog walker
- Find low cost entertainment and free events in your area
- Identify home maintenance and repair resources
The holidays aren’t always fun for everyone. Whether dealing with a painful loss, not in the spirit of celebrating, or feeling isolated from family and friends, Making Life Easier can help. Call anytime to speak with a counselor for support, free-of-charge.
Making Life Easier online: KCMakingLifeEasier.com | Username: King County