Need a little stress relief to lighten your day? Being proactive about taking care of your mental, emotional and physical health can help stave off unwanted stress at work. Here are 10 Tips to help you prepare for a stress-free summer.
- Get Active. Many types of physical activity can act as a stress reliever. Take a 10 minute power walk during your break or lunch, take the stairs instead of the elevator, King County employees can take an exercise class at one of the many activity centers around King County, or do anything else that gets you active.
- Eat Healthy at Lunch. Eating a healthy diet is an important part of taking care of yourself, no matter if it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack time. Consider bringing a glass jar salad for lunch, or stopping at a farmers market near you for fresh, healthy lunch ideas.
- Take a Day Off. Consider taking a vacation day to take time for yourself. There’s nothing better than a day to relax and re-energize.
- My Secure Advantage. Want to save more and stress less? There’s a King County benefit for that! My Secure Advantage is a financial wellness program offered by King County to all employees. You get 90 days of the program at no cost to you. Check out My Secure Advantage (MSA) to find out how you can get help creating a budget, create a retirement plan and more.
- Chair Massage Anyone? King County policy allows employees to sponsor chair massage services in their workplace. If an employee would like to sponsor these services at a worksite, please review the full policy. Learn more here.
- Connect with Co-workers. When you’re feeling stressed and need a break, reach out to a co-worker. Talking to others can help you get a fresh perspective on things and provide support to help alleviate your stress. Ask a co-worker to meet you in the break room for a quick “snack and chat,” or invite them to join you on a 10 minute “walk and talk” and you’ll both come back feeling rejuvenated!
- The Power of Positive Thinking. Sometimes all you need is a quick mental break to help relax your mind and body. Take a few minutes to visualize a relaxing vacation, your favorite quiet spot, or anything else that helps you relax. This quick exercise is a great way to alleviate stress while at your workstation.
- Simple Stretching. Another great stress reliever that can be done at your workstation is basic stretching exercises. Check out 15 Simple and Quick Office Stretches to Boost Work Efficiency for easy exercises you can do at work.
- Listen to Music. Listening to music is a good stress reliever because it can provide a mental distraction and may reduce muscle tension. Create various playlists for different occasions. For instance, create a playlist of calming songs that help you relax, or upbeat tunes to help you get energized.
- Laugh a Little or a Lot! Last but not least, laugh a little, or better yet, laugh a lot! A good laugh can lighten your load mentally. Tell jokes with your co-workers, or share a funny story. You may make someone’s day by spreading a little cheer.
The “10 Tips” series is comprised of helpful suggestions by the King County Employee Health & Well-Being team on various topics. Employees are advised to follow all relevant King County policies and to check with their supervisor when necessary (e.g., requesting time off).