It’s April and those chocolate Cadbury Easter eggs are calling to me as I walk along the grocery aisle. This year I am especially aware of how much energy it takes to pass them by. Why? Because this year I am on a strict NO SUGAR eating plan. This plan has been imposed by my Dr. and the nutritionist I am seeing. No, I am not trying to lose weight, I am simply trying to repair and rebuild a damaged digestive system. I will spare you the gory detail, but will share all I have learned about how to kick those sugar and carb cravings!
Below are the top tips I have learned so far:
10. Eat Fiber, Fat and Protein in every snack and meal.
9. Eat every 3 hours
8. Drink lots of water and herbal tea.
7. Learn which foods have low glycemic index numbers. (Below is a list of “best carbs” from low-glycemic-foods.org) and a list of “foods to avoid here”
6. Eat more vegetables than you ever thought possible
5. Eat some fruit, but not too much (see number 7)
4. Get enough sleep. Adults need 7 hours per night.
3. Take a multivitamin
2. Eat within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.
1. Don’t drink alcohol.
I didn’t say it was easy, and I am still in the early days of my new regimen. I kind of love the challenge and I plan to have my system repaired to 100% or better. This is actually a new way of life for me, so I am choosing to embrace it, and say adios to those Cadbury eggs I once loved so much!