Does eating your way to feeling happier, more energized and less stressed sound implausible? Well, I watched a webinar yesterday that really piqued my interest. The presenter was Dr. Karen Wolfe for the National Wellness Institute. The topic of the webinar was: Beyond Prozac: An Effective Wellness-Directed Approach to Depression. What I learned in the webinar makes a TON OF SENSE! I want to share the highlights along with some resources.
Dr KAREN’S TEN POINT FUNCTIONAL WELLNESS MATRIX FOR DEPRESSION with resources
1. Food Plan Potatoes Not Prozac by Kathleen Desmaisons and www.radiantrecovery.com
2. Sleep William Dement-The Promise of Sleep and www.sleepfoundation.org
3. Exercise – even 30 minutes a day
4. Nutrient Deficiency – Vitamin D and Vitamin B12
5. Detoxification -PCC has a Spring detox class
6. Gut Health – Probiotics can help you feel better
7. Stress Management – there are many resources to tackle this topic. Here are a few: WebMD; Stress reducing foods; Relaxation Techniques
8. Social Connections- MindBody Love and Survival by Dean Ornish /Create the Body Your Soul Desires by Dr Karen
9. Light Therapy Lamps – There are many, this is an example.
10. Hormonal Balance – www.adrenalfatigue.com and www.fundtionalmedicine.org