The holidays can be full of joy, loved ones, and fabulous food. They also can be triggers for sadness and fatigue. It’s especially important to practice stress management this time of year. Balanced You and King County’s Making Life Easier program offer the following tips to help you enjoy the season to the fullest.
Take time out
Pay attention to your own needs. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take time for yourself.
- Learn how to reduce stress via a free-of-charge mindfulness class. Due to popular demand, Mindfulness Northwest has added an additional online class for King County employees, beginning November 12, 2019.
- Get some instant relief with Making Life Easier’s online Stress Center. Log in to practice a short meditation, listen to soothing music, or learn Desk Yoga stretches you can do almost anywhere.
- Go for a short walk. The fresh air will do you good.
- Set aside time to do something you enjoy – journal, read a book or exercise. Maintaining your own needs will keep you grounded and calm.
Acknowledge your limits
You may feel pressure to cook and spend more money during the season. This can add stress to your routine and hurt your wallet. Keep expectations realistic by knowing your limits.
- Understand your budget and spending limit. If you need help with holiday budgeting, call the financial wellness program – My Secure Advantage – at 1-888-874-7290. You can speak with a Money Coach on any topic for 90 days free- of-charge.
- Remind yourself that it’s okay to say no to invitations.
- Prioritize your schedule. Can you give something up to make space for something you really value?
Share the tasks. Welcome others to join you for decorating, wrapping gifts and preparing meals. You’ll lighten your load and enjoy more together time.
When you can’t share tasks, see if you can outsource them. At no cost to you, Making Life Easier’s Daily Living Services can help:
- Find a pet sitter or dog walker
- Find low cost entertainment and free events in your area
- Identify home maintenance and repair resources
The holidays aren’t always fun for everyone. Whether dealing with a painful loss, not in the spirit of celebrating, or feeling isolated from family and friends, Making Life Easier can help. Call anytime to speak with a counselor for support.
Making Life Easier online: KCMakingLifeEasier.com | Username: King County