Balanced You Worksite Fund – Frequently Asked Questions
Balanced You will update this post throughout the application period. Please submit your question by email at BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov or by phone at 206-263-9626.
- What is the Balanced You Worksite Fund?
The Balanced You Worksite Fund is an exciting new program to help you and your coworkers bring your own good ideas and solutions to life to improve health, well-being, and safety of County employees. When you apply for a Worksite Fund grant, you have an opportunity to create positive change. The Balanced You Worksite Fund is a competitive grant program. We intend to fund between 10 and 30 group projects throughout the County. Grants up to $5,000 will be awarded and we encourage a variety of applications in all areas of health and well-being.
- What types of projects will the Worksite Fund support?
We welcome creative and original project ideas in all areas of health and well-being. We’ve provided a list of project ideas to get you started. Please keep in mind the intent is to improve health, well-being, or safety, and you should explain how your project will make a difference. Learn more about worksite health and get ideas at: www.cdc.gov/workplacehealthpromotion
- Are there restrictions on how the funds can be used?
Yes. Worksite Funds cannot be used for massage sessions, space heaters, stand-up desks, equipment for onsite activity centers, employee salaries (if this is a barrier to implementing your idea, please contact us), gift cards, or cash incentives. All projects will be reviewed with the Office of Labor Relations, Risk Management, Safety & Claims, Human Resources, and Facilities Management.
- Can we partner with employees from other agencies or departments?
Yes! We encourage collaboration across agencies.
- What if I don’t know how much an item or service will cost?
When filling out the Worksite Fund budget template, please develop an estimate and explain any sources or assumptions.
- If my project is funded, how will purchases be handled?
This will depend on your proposed use of funds and we will discuss the best approach with your project team.
- What’s involved in project reporting?
We are still finalizing details on this, and will likely request a short narrative explaining project implementation and results. We would also appreciate photographs of project results and any success stories on how this project helped to make a difference in your worksite. We will also seek feedback on the Worksite Fund so we can improve in the future.
- We are unable to implement our project idea without financial support of a small portion of employee FTE. What can we do?
Please contact Balanced You at 206-263-9626 or BalancedYou@kingcounty.gov to discuss and brainstorm solutions.
- I work for Public Health where there is another mini-grant opportunity available called “Building Resilience and Promoting Healing in PHSKC”. Am I allowed to apply for both?
Yes. Public Health and Balanced You are coordinating on these opportunities and communicating to ensure alignment and synergy.
10. Can we use the funds to pay for an ongoing service such as a towel service for our onsite activity center?
While the funds cannot be used for an ongoing service since the funds are to be used through 2018 only, the Worksite Fund could support start-up funds or other costs to establish a system such as this.
11. Our team would like to create a project that would partially be implemented in 2019, after the end of the project cycle. Can we use these funds in 2019?
No. While we certainly hope to see projects live on in to 2019 and beyond, funds must be spent by November 30, 2018.
11. Can funds be used to include spouses/partners in the project or are these funds strictly for employees?
At this time, Balanced You Worksite Funds may only be used to support the health, well-being, and safety of King County employees.